FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
SHAPE America Announces 2018 National Teachers of the Year
in Physical Education, Adapted PE, Health and Dance
RESTON, VA, March 23, 2018 — SHAPE America – Society of Health and Physical Educators today announced its 2018 national Teacher of the Year award winners, six individuals who are among the elite of the adapted physical education, dance education, school health and physical education professions.
The national award recipients, selected after the nationwide state and district competitions, were announced during the organization's Hall of Fame Banquet during the National Convention & Expo in Nashville.
The 2018 national Teachers of the Year are:
- Adapted Physical Education — Jody Duff, Cedar Lane School, Fulton, MD (Eastern District)
- Dance Education — Johannah Wininsky, New Trier High School, Winnetka, IL (Midwest District)
- Health Education — Kimberly Ohara-Borowski, Ocean View High School, Huntington Beach, CA (Southwest District)
- Elementary Physical Education — Matthew Bassett, San Jose Charter Academy, West Covina, CA (Southwest District)
- Middle School Physical Education — Sarah Gietschier-Hartman, Wydown Middle School, Clayton, MO (Central District)
- High School Physical Education — Erika Mundt, Iowa City West & Liberty High Schools, Iowa City, IA (Central District)
The Teacher of the Year awards are given in recognition of outstanding teaching performance and the ability to motivate today's youth to participate in a lifetime of physical activity. At the convention, SHAPE America and Sportime featuring SPARK — innovators of equipment and evidence-based programs for physical educators — celebrated the 29th anniversary of this Teacher of the Year awards collaboration.
The national award recipients were honored at the SHAPE America Hall of Fame Banquet, sponsored by Sportime, featuring SPARK, a category of School Specialty, Inc., and Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
About SHAPE America
SHAPE America – Society of Health and Physical Educators is the nation’s largest membership organization of health and physical education professionals. Since its founding in 1885, the organization has defined excellence in physical education, and our National Standards for K-12 Physical Education serve as the foundation for well-designed physical education programs across the country. We provide programs, resources and advocacy to support health and physical educators at every level, from preschool to university graduate programs.
SHAPE America has 50 state affiliates and is a founding partner of national initiatives such as the Presidential Youth Fitness Program, Active Schools (formerly Let’s Move! Active Schools) and the Jump Rope For Heart/Hoops For Heart programs. “50 Million Strong by 2029” is our commitment to put all children on the path to health and physical literacy through effective health and physical education programs. For more information, visit www.shapeamerica.org.