Student Opportunities at National Convention
As a student or new convention attendee the opportunities can feel overwhelming, but we have taken the time to help highlight opportunities that will help you make the most of your experience below.
- Student Leadership Forum will be an opportunity to network with passionate leaders in our profession. Topics of interest will include interview skills, involvement with Exchange and Mentor Match, resume building, and other issues related to professional development. Students will establish connections with both their peers and those in the field that can provide valuable career advice. This forum will be the place to be to meet emerging leaders and to showcase opportunities for all students at the Shape America Conference.
- Download the convention app and review the online schedule prior to convention.
SHAPE America offers a variety of session formats to help you learn and engage. There is even a game within the app that encourages attendees to dive deeper into what SHAPE America has to offer via an interactive infographic. Also, take the time to review and map out your sessions in advance.
- Stop by the Exhibit Hall.
As a practitioner and/or scholar it is important you are aware of the resources available for our profession. You can also purchase books at a discounted price. New this year is a SHAPE America store, where you will be able to purchase limited edition SHAPE America branded merchandise!
- More Sessions for Students
- Student and First-Time Attendee Orientation will kick off just prior to the first General Session on Wednesday morning with inspiring remarks from one of our Board members and host member ambassadors to answer questions and facilitate community among new comers.
- Graduate Student Forum this year will be centered on getting to know faculty members in PETE/HETE to learn more about the grant process. This friendly and informal session has been designed based on graduate student feedback and will allow you to network with link-minded individuals in the profession. You will be able to ask any question you want to an array of faculty members with different research agendas, on a one-on-one basis. The session will also provide you with information on the grant application process, a requirement for most institutions.
- Program Council Town Hall Meeting is open to all members with an interest in any of the program council areas. Each program council chair will provide a five minute overview highlighting their council activity from 2017.
- Attend the Opening Celebration - Our exciting social evening will be held at Famous Saloon! Join us for drinks, live music and a great time.
- Finally, members of the North American Society (NAS) and the leaders of Phi Epsilon Kappa (PEK) invite students to a networking session on Saturday Morning.